The Kenneth L. Maddy Legislative Intern Scholar Program
Each year approximately 30 University students are selected as Legislative Scholar-Interns. Legislative Scholar-Interns are placed on assignment in regional government offices, as well as in Sacramento and Washington, D.C. The Legislative Internship Program provides students with opportunities to develop public leadership skills while gaining practical knowledge of the day-to-day operations of government and the political process. Legislative Scholar-Interns receive academic credit as well as a stipend. Examples of placements include: U.S. Senate and Congressional offices (Capitol and district offices), California Assembly and Senate offices (Capitol and district offices) and the Governor’s Office. Students are selected based on their academic standing to elevate citizen participation and government performance at all levels through leadership training for public service.
|2019-2020 Participating Elected Officials:|
2019- 2020 Program Deadlines
- Legislative Intern Scholar Program for Fall 2020 (San Joaquin Valley Offices – Fresno, Clovis, Merced, Modesto, Bakersfield, etc.): Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. PDT on Friday, May 8, 2020
- Legislative Intern Scholar Program for Spring 2021 & Summer 2021 (San Joaquin Valley Offices -Fresno, Clovis, Merced, Modesto, Bakersfield, etc.): Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. PDT on Friday, November 6th, 2020
- Legislative Intern Scholar Program in Washington D.C., Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley for Summer 2021: Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. PDT on Friday, November 6th, 2020
- Must have a 3.0 overall GPA or higher
- Must be at least a Junior in standing (60 units completed) OR be a Graduate student in standing during the semester ofthe internship.
- Must be able to work 3-5 hours per shift and at least 10 hours a week during the semester (Hours requirement is 150 hours total) for local placements and 8-10 weeks full time for summer Sacramento/D.C. placements.
- Must act with the highest degree of professionalism and responsibility which also includes taking into consideration that backing out at the last minute would not only be very unprofessional but would put in jeopardy the future placement of other students like you.
For additional information such a scholarship amount and other please go to our FAQs.