The Maddy Institute’s work is focused in three key areas: Government Leadership, Policy Analysis and Citizen Participation.
Our work in the area of Government Leadership involves preparing the next generation of political and governmental leaders. We have recruited students who have graduated from Valley high schools and attending California State University campuses in Fresno, Bakersfield and Stanislaus, as well as UC Berkeley, UC Merced, USC, UCLA, University of Oregon and University of Madison, Wisconsin. Our programs include:
- Wonderful Public Service Graduate Fellowship Program: This $56,000 Fellowship annually funds up to three Valley students to attend the nation’s best graduate programs in public policy, public administration or regional and urban planning with the requirement that, after graduation, they return to the Valley to apply what they have learned.
- Jim Costa Washington. D.C. Legislative Intern Scholar Program: This program funds two to four scholar interns in legislative offices in Washington, D.C every summer.
- Bob Beverly Sacramento Legislative Intern Scholar Program: This program funds two to four scholar interns in legislative offices in Sacramento every summer.
- Valley Legislative Intern Scholar Program: Annually, this program funds approximately 26 scholar interns in legislative offices throughout the year in the San Joaquin Valley.
Our work in the area of Policy Analysis involves providing research to elected officials, public managers and citizens that is a non-partisan, interdisciplinary and fact-driven analysis of the issues. Our programs in this area include:
- Maddy Report: Weekly half-hour public affairs television program that airs on ABC30 in Fresno and on the California Channel statewide.
- El Informe Maddy: Weekly half-hour public affairs television program that airs on UniMas in Fresno program.
- Maddy Daily: Free news aggregator that chronicles politics and policy in the San Joaquin Valley.Currently, The Maddy Dailyhas over 10,000 subscribers.
- Maddy Report – Valley Views Edition: Weekly hour long public affairs radio program that airs on Newstalk 580AM/105.9FM (KMJ)
Our work in the area of Citizen Participation involves engaging citizens of all ages and inspiring them to follow Senator Maddy’s example of active citizen participation.
- Maddy Associates: The Maddy Associates provide financial support the Institute and host luncheons featuring a diverse array of distinguished state and national speakers to discuss topics of importance to our region, state and nation. Modeled after the Commonwealth Club of California, the Maddy Associates program has been designed to be the key public affairs forum to for Central California – a place where community leaders and those concerned about our region can learn and debate issues of public concern.
- Citizenship Academy: As part of the New Immigrant Network, we assist in the civic integration of new citizens, including hosting an annual naturalization ceremony.