2017-2018 Program Deadlines
- Legislative Intern Scholar Program Fall 2017 (San Joaquin Valley – Fresno, Clovis, Merced, Modesto, etc.): Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. PDT on Friday, September 8, 2017
- Legislative Intern Scholar Program Spring 2018 (San Joaquin Valley – Fresno, Clovis, Merced, Modesto, etc.) : Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. PDT on Friday, December 8th, 2017
- Legislative Intern Scholar Program Summer 2018 (DC & Sacramento): Application postmarked, delivered, emailed, or faxed by 5 p.m. PDT on Friday, December 8, 2017
Download The Application: Maddy Intern Scholar Program Application 2017-2018
- Completed Application (MaddyInternApplication): All sections must be completed and signed.
- Resume: Must be current and completed.
- Personal Statement: No longer than ONE page. Write a short biographical sketch. How would the legislative office benefit from having you in the office? What interest, experience, or background do you have in public policy or government affairs (school, work, volunteerism, etc.)?
- College Transcripts: Copies are acceptable. Your name must appear on the document. Official transcripts indicating expected graduation date and degree will be required of all applicants selected for the program.
- Must have a 3.0 overall GPA or higher;
- Must be at least a Junior in standing (60 units completed) OR
- Must be a Graduate student in standing during the semester of the internship.
Requirements for Academic Credit:
In order to receive academic credit for an internship, a student must satisfy the following minimum requirements:
- Satisfy Time Commitment: Work for a minimum of 50 hours for each (1) unit of academic credit (e.g., 150 hours for 3 units of academic credit)
- Enroll for Credit: Sign up for an independent study through Extended Education
- Sign Letter of Agreement and Code of Conduct
- Participate in Orientation Program: Dates to Be Determined
- Develop Learning Objectives: In the first two weeks of your internship, you should submit your Learning Objectives to the The Maddy Institute (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Record a Daily Log: A copy, signed by your supervisor, should be submitted at the end of your Internship to The Maddy Institute (email@example.com). It should include a log of hours. [Daily Log Form]
- Submit Final Report: Submit a 4-6 page final written report to The Maddy Institute and the designated governmental liaison by email. Your report should provide a detailed explanation of:
- What work you did, how you did it and who you did it for (e.g., if are doing research, Who asked you to do it? What exactly were you researching? How did you go about completing your assignments?
- Why do you think they are asking you to do this? Why do you think they are pursuing this public policy? Was the result good or bad?
- How did the work you do relate to concepts you learned in the classroom?
- What specific skills did you develop? (include one or more specific examples of what skills you developed)
- What new knowledge did you gain? (include one or more specific examples of what was learned)
- What personal development took place?
- How was your career awareness expanded? Guidelines for the format of the Final Report are set forth in the Final Report Guidelines
- Submit Supervisor’s Evaluation Form: The designated governmental liaison must submit a final performance appraisal of your work [Government Office Evaluation]
- Submit Student Evaluation Form
- Costa Scholarship Interns in Washington, D.C. will receive a $6,000 scholarship
- Beverly Scholarship Interns in Sacramento will receive a $4,500 scholarship
- Maddy Scholarship Interns will receive a $1,500 scholarship
Please familiarize yourself with university policies regarding off site employment and learning experiences. California State University, Fresno is committed to providing a learning environment free of harassment, discrimination, and sexual harassment extending to all remote learning sites: